Tuesday 20 May 2008

Out and about

Having spent weeks 'doing' in my room, I have escaped to the outside world.   Create Contemporary craft show was great.   Weather perfect, if a tad hot in the marquee, but I am not complaining.   Met old friends and made new ones - sales of scarves, dyed threads and one quilt.

The shibori demos pretty busy, but great fun.   Seventy plus 'new' dyers went off clutching precious little bags of their own shibori fabric.

Keith went off to Turkey for a week, playing golf with his chums.  Days to 'play' and prepare for the next workshop at the end of the week with Bridport West Country Embroiderers.

A grand day, all working hard on stitched, bound and folded resist.  Some impressive samples at the end of the day.
Difficult to take photos when immersed in teaching, and controlling the dye pots, but here are four pieces of arishi -
pole wrapping.


My next workshop takes place this weekend - over two days we will cover indigo, rust and colour stripping.   I so enjoy getting the indigo vats going again, a sign that the warmer weather is/has arrived.    Keeping an eye on the weather, which doesn't look too good at the moment!

My usual form of indigo powder is no longer available, so I have granules.  On Saturday I thought it a good idea to try them out, it looked good, no time to try it out, except to dip a strip of cotton to test the colour  On Sunday I had an impromptu Indigo day and invited two friends round to be my 'guinea pigs' and share the vat.  We had such fun, the garden turned into a sea of blue.
Liz and Betty with Rabari woven wool shawl - originally cream with bright woven borders

Detail of texture

Some bolsters I made earlier.   Stitch resist - ammonites, starfish and fish

Now to prepare for Dorset Arts Week

No comments: