Monday 27 January 2014

Surfacing

A little break  from grey skies, wind and rain.   The sun is shining, which makes taking photos a doddle.

I have been busy stitching on the Kurta quilt.   Binding is now on, it just needs hemming, a job for spare minutes.   Determined to finish it before the end of the month.   I'11 post the finished quilt towards the end of the week.    Nothing like a double deadline.

Meanwhile the thread dyeing fest is on going, on days when I can see what colours I've mixed.   The heater in the conservatory makes a little difference, from freezing to slightly cold.   My dyes and batched threads come into my room, just to keep them warm.





the first batch


I'll be back in the dye pots this week


Banjara

A few years ago we spent a week in north Goa.   Nearby was Ajanta with it's weekly market.
Lots of Banjara work for sale.  Yummy.



Banjara squares

Banjara man's belt - detail
it measures 80  x 16 cm

During the season Lamani (sub caste of Banjara) travel from Kanartaka to Goa, the boys working in the beach shacks and the women selling textiles, beads, etc to tourists.

Having lunch at our favourite beach shack one of the boys just had to inspect my purchases.  He told me his mother did this kind of stitching, and taught him.   No mention of girls here!   They kept close to their temporary homes

So, next day we took the bus to the nearby town.  In the market fabric was purchased, along with thread and needles.   Not quite so easy as popping into a quilting shop.   Needles were the most difficult.   Several ladies, sitting on cloths, produced tins containing needles, just had to find the right tin with the right size.

Back at our hotel I thought a little practice on the technique might be a good idea.   Taking inspiration from the belt, I marked out the gird with soap, and started stitching.

                         
this is as far as I got
I unearthed this little treasure whilst looking for something else!

On the beach next morning my little piece was greeted with cries of "Kanarta!" so I guess I got something right.   I was joined by eight Lamani boys, ages ranging from eight to 18.   We sat and stitched, talked and laughed.    A fabulous opportunity to watch and learn.    

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Love what you have done here it looks very authentic. How warm is it in Goa, we are looking for a bit of warmth and sun after all this wet and grey weather.

Tiggy Rawling said...

Hi Debbie - It should be warm in February/March, certainly better weather than the UK!

Radka said...

I alway like to see your
treasures :-)Looking forward to your
Kurta quilt,
x