Monday 19 October 2009

A "Parson's Egg" week

e.g. good in parts

Last Saturday found me on Brownsea Island, Poole.
Now owned by the National Trust, it was the birth place
of the Scout Movement - Baden Powell set up the first
camp on the Island. A beautiful tranquil place, no
cars allowed, home of red squirrels - all busy gathering
their nuts, so to speak. Delightful.



Cottages on the foreshore - what a great place for a studio.

I was invited over to take a dyeing class as part of an
Embroidery Workshop. Location The Girl Guides summer
house - so quiet and inspiring, especially as students were
encouraged to take nature as their theme.

Samples drying on hedges

Cloth dyed in autumnal/island colours

The view from the house - dappled sunlight, looking
towards Poole Harbour.

I had been invited by Betty (Ruffell) who organised the
weekend. I think I surprised her on my arrival in
complete walking kit, boots, walking pole, and
racksack, jeans, big jumper etc. My norrnal attire
for workshops is churridar (trousers) and a kurta!
We had a great time. When it came to make my
way to the ferry my back said 'no'. Consequence,
last week not a lot got done until a visit to my
Chiropractor on Friday.






Enter the 'elephant in the room'. Velvet for dyeing.
Getting a good way into this now - dyed lengths for
scarves piling up. A few more metres to go.
Must take advantage of reasonable weather today
and tomorrow before the rains come. Wednesday
should see me at the sewing machine, all being well!

1 comment:

Carol said...

Looks like you had a great time on Brownsea. Sorry about your back. I am finding it hard to get anything done, even blogging. Mind you I have a cold at the moment so that doesn't help.