Saturday 20 March 2010

indigo distraction



I have been distracted from matters in hand. 
 Whilst looking for something else, isn't that always the way,
 I found a box containing an assortment of indigo squares, 
plus lots of small and big bits.

These are the remains of a workshop taken with children 
from a local school.   Four groups of twelve, shibori, and an 
indigo vat.   Each student had four squares of cotton sateen.

The squares were made into a kimono, which now hangs in 
the school.  The box contained the leftovers.

So, in the spirit of tidying up I made them into a quilt top.  
 Only small scraps were left, and I had to concede that 
these were really too small to save.

Quilt top now pressed, and packed away in the empty box 
together with backing material.  All ready for a rainy day.

Actually it is raining this morning, but I have a date with a pot 
of paint and roller.   The kitchen is in need of a little TLC.

5 comments:

Eva said...

Oh this is wonderful! I love the whole piece, but above all the irregular outer edge. Hope it won't be eaten up by the binding.

jude said...

great!!!

Rayna said...

Tiggy, this is beautiful. What a terrific way to use up pieces of shibori!

Tiggy Rawling said...

Thank you all - I am now getting itchy fingers. When the sun is out and it's warm I am thinking indigo vats.
The redundant greenhouse might become wet room - another take over bid -and with the help of a fish tank heater(!) I should be able to maintain the heat in the vat. Meanwhile I shall consider an irregular edge!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Beautiful! I just got an Indigo starter kit, and would love to be able to create something like that this summer... thanks for the inspiration!